All Natural Treatment for Toenail Fungus – Dr.Axe
Fungus of the foot can show up as cracked, yellowing toe nails or as athletes foot. Some causes include antibiotic use, poor digestion, high sugar diet, and poor hygiene. It can also be exacerbated if feet are kept in a damp environment for a long time.
The most common treatment today for toenail fungus are synthetic fungal creams as well as prescription antibiotic medications which do little to actually address the cause of this condition.
The good news is there are all-natural treatments for toenail fungus that are highly effective more externally and internally.
Top Foods for Toenail Fungus
- Colorful vegetables – Whole foods provide essential vitamins and minerals to help with healing and boost the immune system.
- Cultured dairy or fermented foods – To replace good bacteria which will help control the yeast, add foods high in probiotic such as raw yogurt, kefir, or sauerkraut.
- Green superfood powder – Green vegetables will help improve your immune response.
- Ground flax and chia seeds – Flax and chia are anti-fungal.
- Water – Drink 8+ glasses of water daily to help flush out fungus.
Foods that Increase Fungal Growth
- Sugar – Feeds fungus, therefore eliminating sugar from your diet is key for healing.
- Fruit or fruit juice – Even though fruit is generally healthy, it is high in sugar and can make fungus worse.
- Alcohol – Consumption can make fungal growths worse.
- Foods with mold – Avoid blue cheese, aged cheeses, nuts, or nut butters because they can make the infection worse.
- Refined grains – These quickly bread down into sugar feeding fungus and yeast.
Top 5 Natural Toenail Fungus Treatments
#1 Oil of Oregano (3 drops 3x daily)
Oregano oil is naturally antibacterial and anti fungal apply 3 drops topically 3x daily.
#2 Probiotics (50 billion units daily)
Probiotics will give your body healthy bacteria which can help reduce the presence of fungus.
#3 Garlic (2 caps or cloves daily)
Helps fight fungal infections and boost the immune system.
#4 Vitamin C (1,000mg 3x daily)
Vitamin C boosts immune function and helps fight off infections.
#5 Grapefruit seed extract (200 mg 2-3x per day)
This herb has specific properties to fight fungus.
Tea tree oil aka melaleuca is also an effective oil to apply topically to fungus.